Monday, November 30, 2009

"Hills like White Elephants"

My view of "Hills like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway seems to be completely different than what everyone else says. After reading it once I looked up some things online and found out it was about an abortion. However, the entire time I read I took the operation as a sex change operation. I know many will disagree with me on this, but I feel as if “Jig” or the young girl is actually a young man with very feminine features.

I believe that the man in the story happened to fall in love with Jig while traveling through Spain. Through a recent encounter the man found out that Jig himself was a man. This has put the couple in a troubling situation. With the love they share and neither sure what to do the man wants Jig to have a sex change. Bare with me here, I know you’re thinking I’m crazy but even when the man says “I know you wouldn’t mind it, Jig. It’s really not anything. It’s just to let the air in.” Sure I understand how that can relate to an abortion but I feel as if it can also relate to a sex change. Over all I feel as if this is a tragic love story. My only problem is how willing Jig is to give in. The man truly loves Jig, and feels it will make their relationship better, however Jig dosent really want to do it. The only reason Jig does goes along with it is because he/she believes it is the only way he/she can be with the man “But I don’t care about me. And I’ll do it and then everything will be fine”.


I’m sure many of you still think I’m crazy and I do see how it is written about an abortion, but I also see many similarities for a sex change. Either way it was an ok story, I wish there was more depth to it. Yes, it got the point across in just a few words, but I wanted to know some more background information on the characters. Hopefully some of you will read this and understand my point of view and even draw some of your own conclusions in order to decipher exactly what this story is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment