Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"The Storm" by Kate Chopin

Let me start by saying that Kate Chopin is a very bitter and strange woman. After previously reading "Story of an Hour" in class I cant help but draw conclusions. In both stories the main character is a woman that is relieved by the absence of their husbands. I know Chopin was left with a lot of debt and six children to take care of, but there is no evidence of her husband being unloving. The reason this story makes me so angry is that Bobinot seems so madly in love with Calixta and she is completely oblivious to it. Bobinot even went as far as to buy Calixta some shrimp at the store, and then make sure him and their son Bibi were well groomed for their return. Calixta however is an undeserving, no-good, two timing mistress. What makes me even more mad, is the fact that after she cheats on her caring husband Bobinot, she treats her husband and son like she has been worried about their well being. She continues to act as if she loves them and misses them wich is completely redicoulous considering the fact that they were the last thing on her mind during the storm.

The thing that disturbs me even more than the fact that she cheated and lied about it is the fact that this other man Alcee would do such a thing knowing she was a married woman, and a married man himself. This reminds me a lot of the current Tiger Woods situation. Not only did he cheat on his wife and lie about it, but this other woman obviously knew he had a wife. The fact that people can do something like this and not feel guilty is unthinkable to me. The biggest thing that puzzles me is that if Toger Woods or Alcees wife had cheated on them they would be sure to dump them. However, the fact that Tiger Woods and Alcee have cheated they expect for their wifes to just take them back. I just feel that marriage is a sacred thing and if to people arent ready to fully commit to another then they shouldnt commit at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment