Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"If I Were a Man" by Charolette Perkins Gilman

This has been my favorite story thus far because it has really opened my eyes to a view I haven't ever seen before. After reading the title and the first few paragraphs I began to feel really good about myself. It talks about how men go to work in order to support their families, which is a trait instilled upon them in their childhood. It made me proud of my dad for his hard work to support my family, and it motivated me to work hard to support my future family. However after reading the next few paragraphs things became increasingly more clear to me. The reason I like this story so much is because it shows how men often are the quickest to criticize women about their looks, their jobs, and their even question their love. There is irony in this because in most cases men are the one who oppress women to their current status in life.

"It's time we woke up, woman are pretty much people, seems to me. I know they dress like fools, but who's to blame for that? We invent all those idiotic hats of theirs and design their cray fashions, and, what's more, if a woman is courageous enough to wear common-sense clothes and shoes, which of us wants to dance with her?... We are always criticizing them for making mercenary marriages, but what do we call a girl who marries a chump with no money? Just a poor fool, that"s all" This quote from the story really opened my eyes to a whole new perspective about women which is ironic considering the title is "If I Were a Man". Growing up my mother was a stay at home mom who raised me and my two siblings, did our laundry, and cooked for us. My dad on the other hand provided the necessary funds for my mother to do so. I have always thought that one day I would like for my future wife to stay at home and take care of the children while I'm at work. However after reading this story I have realized that if she is courageous enough to "wear common sense clothes" who am I to stop her. I should dance with her regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment